Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 5 February 2015

Living in Free-fall Part 5: Surrender!

When the white flag is raised it's time to usher in the new season. Victory for one side means peace. So it is with us.

Surrendering our time, talents and tasks brings with it peace. Who's on the victor side? We who surrender. How's that? Because the two forces at odds have both been aspects of ourselves. When the WILL gives in to the HEART, synergy begins and life takes on a new dynamic and a new perspective. That's what I think, anyway.

Years ago I worked as an actress. I was up for a part I wanted very much. The director had narrowed it down to me or one other woman. He wrestled for a while, and after a few days he called me to say he'd made his decision. He followed his heart rather than his head - and chose the other woman. Rats! But I couldn't argue. Weeks later I went to see the play. The actress hired did a decent job. Of course, I would have chosen me. And I didn't find her performance particularly awesome. But, I couldn't argue with the director's choice. I understood it. He went with gut instinct - rightly or wrongly - rather than with reasoning.

I've always been at odds with myself. As a young woman I let my heart rule my head and didn't do well on the romantic relationship track. But when I talk about surrender being about heart over will I'm not talking about romantic or passionate heart versus cool head.

When I refer to surrendering to our hearts, I mean - our hearts' desire (that which fulfills us) rather than our determined will (that which we think we want or need). Letting go is not easy for some of us. Order before chaos, sense before sensibility, reason before instinct. In my early romantic life I had plenty of will and this guided - even dictated - my decisions.

Now, I am letting go of my will. That means letting go of control. I surrender my plans. I surrender my people, even family, husband, child. I surrender my possessions and my position. I'm seeking to discover what's deep inside me. 'Heart' in this sense has nothing to do with romantic relationships; 'heart' has to do with my spirit, with who I have been created to be. Surrender means letting go of control over situations and relationships, and allowing room for 'what is meant to be'.

On my journey of free-fall, I'm learning to surrender my will to my spirit, every day, every hour. My will is feisty, opinionated, confrontational, close-minded. On the other hand, my spirit is at peace: still, quiet and at rest. This is a different way to live.

Allowing my heart to lead is risky for me. I feel more vulnerable. But then, I'm better placed to share on a deeper level with others.

A mega music star - I think it might be Bon Jovi - has said we can choose as artists to either reveal ourselves or to conceal. He's chosen to reveal and believes it is for this reason that his band is successful. Perhaps even more than what is in the heart, what touches people is the sharing of inner truth and vulnerability.

Let's see where surrender will take me.

Until next Thursday....



Arms outstretched: the ultimate posture of vulnerability, of letting go, of surrender. Free to Be offers steps to discover who you are, spiritually, emotionally, socially, and how to be the person you were created to be, free from anxiety, fear, insecurity and shame.
Free to Be website page






AND







END NOTE: For those who haven't known me for long, and perhaps for some who have: You might enjoy my other blog:
Life from the Lighthouse -- all about what God shows me when He talks to me and I listen. New posts monthly on the 1st.










My website for the Self Publishing House is www.LarusPress.com where I blog on wholeness, witness, the Word of God and worship & warfare. Larus Press offers Christian-based books, blogs and literature to inspire, encourage, equip and empower your living spirit.
Subscribe to our free newsletter, Soaring Post, with issues every Thursday to equip you for the Kingdom of God and the New Earth.

No comments: