Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 31 January 2013

Quiet Heart


                                    "Be Still, My Heart."


Even as I type these four words I wonder how very blessed I am to live in a quiet place and to have the opportunity to 'hear' my heart.

There's an expression that says we need to be still to hear what's going on in our heart. I think it's true. The heart is the place where our yearnings and desires live, and where, if we listen, we can discover what will fulfill us and make us feel 'whole.'

So, in the world we live in today I am troubled, concerned especially for children and youth who seem to have little time for reflection, quiet or solitude. Media before their eyes or in their ears, and innumerable activities to experience leave little time just to play. Or for silence. And if there isn't time for silence then how can there be time to listen to the still small voice in their hearts?

I wish everyone could just unplug... from time to time... and that each of us could have time just to 'be', with no schedule or agenda, no distractions. In my ideal world, children will grow into adults who are at peace with themselves and in rhythm with the world around them. Anxiety, stress, impatience are products of too little time to do too much, or of feeling overwhelmed by too much choice.

I aspire to a world where we all have time to be alone. Alone is not a bad place to be. Loneliness can be painful - like a silent scream that no one hears though in a crowded room. But alone is different. Alone is company with oneself - thinking, simply sitting without saying a word, but with our private thoughts flowing in and through us, as we enjoy our own undemanding, peaceful company.

I was bullied as a child. For a few years I had no friends at school. So I learned to play by myself and I grew to quite like it. Funny isn't it, how experiences that seem like curses later turn out to be such blessings. I think life offers a lot of that, if we could only recognize it. When we plan too much we can miss the wonders available - too busy to see, too hurried to enjoy the life made available to us without any effort.

It's quiet here, and I can hear the winter wind through the window.


I am content in the quietness of my own heart, because I haven't something else I'd rather do, or have to do. Instead, I am here in the present, alone with my thoughts.

Whether a cold wind rages outside, or a steamy hearth keeps our bodies warm indoors, stillness is attainable any place, any time.

I so desire this stillness for my child and his generation. I so want this for our youth.
Please God, grant space in time for our children to rest within themselves and hear their heart's desires before expectation and thrill completely and permanently detach them from their souls.



4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Beautiful reflection, Sarah. Time alone to be quiet, dream, and think is so necessary for all of us -- not just the more introverted types. In fact perhaps it is even more necessary for the "extro's" since they may need to make more effort to take that quiet time. I couldn't agree with you more!

George W said...

Delightful, Sarah. Beautiful. Profound. Every morning, before I throw my door open for business, in my one-half hour shared with God, I begin with the words: "Steady my feet, my Father. Let my heart be quiet and my Holy mind be still ... and speak to me. I have no words to give to You. I would but listen to Your words and make them mine."

Please keep delivering such beautifully pertinent content. I agree with Jeannie that "it is even more necessary for the 'extro's' since they may need to make more effort to take that quiet time" but I might add to it "introverted types" who work in an extroverted environment, like sales.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Sarah Tun at Larus Press said...

Always great to hear from you Jeannie. To write it certainly requires me to take reflective time. Perhaps creative output always does.
Thanks for keeping in touch and for your input!

Sarah Tun at Larus Press said...

Thank you, George, for the encouragement and thoughtful response, for sharing a way you find beneficial to 'be still with the LORD'. When we share we help one another to find our feet, don't we!
Next time (happens to be Valentine's Day) I plan to write about Faithful Heart, as I believe we all need 'faith' to carry on!