Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 2 October 2014

Going Deeper into Self - Part 5 A fond farewell

I will mourn departure from my homeland... Canada, the True north, Strong and Free.
Amherstview Lake Shore, Lake Ontario, Canada

A week or two ago, activity in the North comprised of the Russians encroaching on Canadian air space and the USA passing over until the R's departed.

Canada, Russia and China are the largest countries in the world (Brazil holds it's own in that department but for this conversation isn't relevant). Each of these reaches to the North, but only Canada is a truly free nation. I am truly free to vote, think and speak my mind without fear of Government reprisal. In fact, social oppression is slight in Canada and even political correctness, though present, is not pervasive. We are truly free. And as anyone from First Nations can attest, we are truly north, too. (Brrrr!)

I live in a country I love. For the past 5 years I've enjoyed the sights and sounds of my own culture after being absent for 20. Wholeheartedly, I felt welcomed back. Now, as I prepare to leave for sunny Spain, anticipating blessings and challenges, I mourn, a little, the departure.

I love Canada. The winters are white, the summers are smooth, the people are gracious and the heart of the nation is to befriend.

I will miss you, Canada. Thank you for raising me to be who I am. Thank you for showing my husband the grandeur of a humble nation, and my son the integrity which is a part of his Canadian heritage. Thank you for reminding me I come from good stock, worthy of respect but modest in demeanor, quietly proud.

The Sun rises in the East - from My Bedroom Window I Gaze

I will miss my lake shore view: daily I rose facing east and enjoyed the sunrise, the waves lapping.... or often the water was as still as glass. Morning by morning I scrambled for my child's breakfast, hastily putting together lunch and nagging him to catch his bus: Yes, the proverbial yellow school bus made famous by Hollywood and the Networks... and our own "Timothy Goes to School".

I will miss the unique vigour needed to shovel snow. I will miss the Bath Canada Day Parade, where candy is tossed lovingly into a crowd full of children, and the fireworks are second to none - thanks to Lafarge. And P's huge Canada Day party, where anyone and everyone converges for the day onto their corner lot for wine and cheese and friendly chatter. I will miss people, I will miss church, I will miss the scent of the land.

Canada, I will miss you.

I am stronger than when I returned 5 years ago. I am more loving, more gracious, more patient. This is largely due to my walk with God, but in part due to my beloved Canada and its people.

Thank you, Canada. Thank you, Ontario. Thank you, friends and church family and God, for bringing me back.

Long may you continue, strong and free in the north, true to self, true to history, true to what is right in the world.

Next Thursday I will be living in Spain. I am excited and enthusiastic about the move. 'Moss does not grow on me.' I look forward to writing to you, and hope you'll continue to look forward to all that life offers and share some of your moments with me.

Love and God bless to you this week. See you next Thursday... AND:




END NOTE: For those who haven't known me for long, and perhaps for some who have: You might enjoy my other blog:
Life from the Lighthouse -- all about what God shows me when He talks to me and I listen. New posts monthly on the 1st.










My website for the Self Publishing House is www.LarusPress.com where I blog on wholeness, witness, the Word of God and worship & warfare. Larus Press offers Christian-based books, blogs and literature to inspire, encourage, equip and empower your living spirit.
Subscribe to our free newsletter, Soaring Post, with issues every Thursday to equip you for your spiritual walk.




See you next Thursday here at A Life Examined.

No comments: