Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Wednesday 25 January 2012

Social Networking

I've joined twitter, facebook, linkedIn. Am I keeping up? Nope! I'm not sure how others do it, but I aim high and will find a time management scheme that will allow me time to engage.
So far, I've joined several blogs. Eventually I'll read the comments/conversations others are engaging in that I've been saving. And, eventually, I expect I'll comment too.

Anybody else feel overwhelmed by the task of staying on top of their (various) in-boxes?

I'm a writer for goodness sake, so why don't I write to keep up... Because so far, if I keep up with these on-line schemes, I'll not have time to create the stories I like to create.

The social network is, to me, magical - it is illusive, vast and a bit of a mystery.

I used to be able to juggle with 3 balls, literally. I thought that was pretty good. Now I'm back down to 2. I think the social network requires a few more balls in the air than I can handle, but I'll keep trying!

So this brief blog is a combination of the question above and an announcement:

Anyone who has an experience to share or advice on how to keep on top of the  social networks is invited to comment.

As for the announcement? It seems until now the ability to leave COMMENT on this blog has been blocked due to my technical limitations. Well, evidently I've sorted it out.

Care to comment to test it out for me?

God bless,
Sarah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, having only just joined Facebook a few months ago myself, I too am finding it interesting to make my way in the online world. Noodling around on fb and seeing what people are up to takes time many of us don't have or don't want to spend. I find it interesting that I get to know so much about people who are (right now at least) barely acquaintances and so little about people I have longstanding connections with. I think, as in the "real" world, you gradually find your kindred spirits -- and, also as in the "real" world, you have to determine your own comfort level, boundaries, and investment. It's a bit daunting to be told well, if you're going to write and be published, you need an online presence -- but how to cultivate that in a way that's true to your personality and style is the challenge (even assuming you buy that assumption in the first place).

Having shared all these deep, scintillating thoughts, I certainly hope the comments feature works now ... ;-)

Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, Yea, I hear you... So far, I've resisted the whole social network thing, because I don't trust myself. Like Jeannie says, "noodling around" could gobble up way too much of my time and I don't want to even start. But if I did, I think that I would have to schedule it for an hour early in the day, set a timer, and move on when my time is done. I manage the housework in a similar way - Mondays I clean one bathroom, Tuesdays I vacuum, etc.. Otherwise, if I waited until it looked dirty, it would never get done! Maureen

Sarah said...

Well, I've made some progress except that it is a little sad that it's taken me 2 months to find this comment.
I enjoy facebook now that I've worked out 2 reasons for using it: one - to connect about the book and two - to find long lost friends. The key to whatever progress I've made is that I've learned the difference between POST and MESSAGE. That's pretty important I would say!

Sarah said...

That's a great way of working so you aren't swamped by the work all in one day. I find facebook etc has a trail that seems endless and each site is like a rabbit warren.
Thanks for writing. I'm only 7 weeks in replying.