Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 19 June 2014

Fear... not - Part 2


When fear looms, look at your situation this way...

What are you most afraid of? Chances are it has something to do with the future. The thing about the future is: we can anticipate it but we can't predict it. We can prepare for it, but we can't control it.

Focusing on the future is the road on which fear likes to creep, because fear often revolves around the anticipation of what if... I fail?

When we want a particular outcome it's good to work hard for it. We study for exams, we network with key people, and we focus diligently to achieve success. What we can do about the future is to prepare for it and hope for the best. But we cannot control others or outcomes. It is not for us to make a specific future happen. We aren't sovereign.

Sovereignty means having ultimate control; as much as we might like to try to prepare, influence or concentrate, our will is not all-powerful. So what's the point of worrying about it?

Sometimes, don't we try to trick ourselves into believing our future is under our control? We make plans and consider all the possible outcomes, aiming to ensure our future is bright. But this sets us up for worry. With disease, natural disasters and busy roads, we can not be sure of our life span, never mind of determining our destiny.

Recognizing this simplifies life. It is freeing...

We are responsible for being the best we know how to be - now, and doing what we know is right -now, of loving ourselves and one another - now, and of being kind and considerate - now. For those who have made a commitment to God, we are responsible for being as godly as we currently understand. The results are out of our hands.

It's a relief to me. I make my path, and make my effort as concerted as I can, without tromping on anyone else. I follow the opportunities and healthy relationships as they present themselves to me, and I forgive when I'm wronged. I'm grateful for opportunities and aim not to miss any, knowing if I do I will learn from my mistakes. Being open to learning is one of the keys to overcoming fear. We're not in charge of the future, only of our own choices, and our choices are based on what we know - now.

This is my path. Knowing I'm responsible for my life but that I'm not ultimately in control, releases me from fear. I don't know the future. I know I'm not in control and so I am free from failure. I live, I love, I learn. There is no room for fear.

There's a lot more to talk about failure and control. See you next week.

In the meantime, do stop by www.LarusPress.com/about and sign up for Soaring Post, a weekly blog about how God moves in and through us to make us all we've been created to be.

Have a great week... may you enjoy the moments.

Love and God bless to you this week. See you next Thursday... AND:




END NOTE: For those who haven't known me for long, and perhaps for some who have: You might enjoy my other blog:
Life from the Lighthouse -- all about what God shows me when He talks to me and I listen. New posts monthly on the 1st.










My website for the Self Publishing House is www.LarusPress.com where I blog on wholeness, witness, the Word of God and worship & warfare. Larus Press offers Christian-based books, blogs and literature to inspire, encourage, equip and empower your living spirit.
Subscribe to our free newsletter, Soaring Post, with issues every Thursday to equip you for your spiritual walk.




See you next Thursday here at A Life Examined.


No comments: