Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 5 September 2013

My "Perfect" Life: part 14

Summers with Granny

I never in my life called her 'Granny' but I know a lot of others use that term. Nana is another name some folks use. I called my mother's mother Grandma and she was the only Grandma I had.

When God made my grandma, He broke the mold. And isn't that what is intended? Grandparents are a gift, and like any good gift, I cherished her for as long as she lived.

When I was six I started going to Grandma's for the summer holidays. I believe my mother's strategy was to ensure we (my sister and I) got to know my grandmother. It was a good strategy. I've said in earlier posts she was my best friend and my closest family member; indeed she was the one person who I felt accepted me for who I was. I felt her love.

Grandma lived in a small Southwestern Ontario town, in a little bungalow. I remember her big four poster bed, which she let me sleep in very occasionally. And I remember her pink walls... I think as a grown-up I adopted her like for the colour. I liked her laugh and the way she made anybody welcome in her home. And I liked her name. I told her one day, if I had a little girl, I'd name her Sarah.... So, when I decided to change my name years later, I took hers. I think she'd approve.

Summers were humid... really sticky and unpleasant in Southwestern Ontario. I expect nothing's changed in that regard, though I don't know anyone who lives in that town now, as all of my family has moved away or has died. But the humidity never bothered me when I was young. I just remember endless days playing outside with neighbours, or inside with Barbies and the girl next door.

I remember we took over my grandmother's family room, except on weekday mid-afternoons, when she'd watch her 'stories' -- soap operas that is. There were soap commercials squeezed between cheezy melodramas that I ignored as a child and would learn to schedule my university classes around in Second year university. Oh, I inherited some qualities of Grandma I guess.

The best part of summer was the easy days and feeling of warmth and love. Though some of that was marred by my sister and I arguing. The worst I recall was the time that I hit her across her head with an old fashioned doll - the kind with the rock-hard head. My sister said I'd hit her in the temple and I could have killed her. My response was, "What's a temple?" I don't remember what my grandmother did then, I only know my sister lived on, though probably somewhat bruised temporarily.

Summers were not perfect, but I don't recall much that wasn't. If I could bottle up summers with Grandma and sell them, they'd make a wonderful gift.

If you've got a special relationship with a family member, like I had with my gran, consider yourself truly blessed. I do.

Best to you, until next Thursday.
The one pic I have of my Grandmother






No comments: