Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Wednesday 7 December 2011

Ultimate Time Management

If each of us knew precisely how long -- or how little -- we had with each other on this earth, would we live differently?

If we knew that to say 'see you tomorrow' might not be actualized, that it was in the hands of illness or national security or even freak accident (if you believe in such a thing), would we be less casual, more effortful in how we lived our lives?  Families might be closer, friends might be more treasured.  Lives might have less busy-ness and more connected-ness.

I like to think that sometimes I do live as though this moment mattered, that it might not be the last but that it is special, worth valuing rather than being taken for granted.

As I start my purchasing and preparation for the Christmas Season, I want to remember to treasure the moment, however brief, when I look out at the lake, or at my smiling (or frowning) child, or at my greying spouse and think: this moment that I'm breathing is worth a treasure more bountiful than any sale at Walmart, or any (false) hunger pang, or any ambition unfulfilled.  If life is a long series of interconnected moments, I want to live mine as though the one I'm in right now is all that really matters, and love and enjoy it to the full.

Cheers!

Sarah

No comments: