Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 1 August 2013

My "Perfect" Life - Part 10

ON THE BRINK

Are there particular moments of decision in your past that you remember more vividly than most? Do you remember the moment you made a major decision that transformed your life? Perhaps you remember where you were, how you were feeling, thinking, then deciding... and pressing on, never to look back? I've got one such memory, so clear that it sits in my mind like a good film, vivid, poignant and lasting.

The memory takes me back 30 years, nearly to the day. I was sitting on the shore of my beloved Lake Ontario.


It was mid-August and I was a young teacher with no definite job for the autumn. I wanted to stay in Kingston where I was visiting, but though I'd contacted some local principals, nothing was forthcoming. I could remain in Kingston sans employment, or I could return to the town I'd lived in the previous school year and where I would (probably) be offered a contract later in the month... such was the way school boards operated with new teachers, as final enrollment and allocation of teachers was not carried out until the 'last minute'. My head said, "I don't know...?" My heart said, "Return to Kingston, the one city you feel is 'home'." (I'm a Queen's grad and a lot of Queen's grads seem to feel a kinship for the city.)

I was determined to sit by the lake until I'd made my decision. Being a restless sort that was not an easy task, but sat I did until I'd made up my mind... I'd stay!

That night, I prayed a prayer I'd never prayed before, nor ever since:

   "GOD, if you're there, show me, and I'll follow you. "

I remember falling asleep that night with wet ears - I cried myself to sleep, tears streaming into my ears as I lay on my back until I drifted off.

The next morning, I woke up feeling a bit drained but otherwise it seemed the day would be no different from any other day. Boy, I got that wrong!

(Now I'm going to play a game with you... What do you think happened? If keeping you waiting until next week is unreasonable, please let me know. Or share a memory that you recall (pleasant words only please). I will reply to any comment AND if there is an uproar to my keeping you waiting, I'll finish this story promptly. Otherwise, until next Thursday, best to you and blessings!




No comments: