Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Friday 4 January 2013

Hot or Cold?


My husband hates the cold. We moved to my birthplace - Canada - only once he was convinced that central heating was effective (he was born in Burma, raised in the UK - and I often tease him that he left Asia prematurely - he didn't get the warmth inside his bones to sustain him). As for me, I get chilly in winter like anyone, but I'd rather be too cold than too hot. I don't like to 'perspire'... It used to be said that 'women glow' but whether impolite or politically corrrect - truth told I sweat!

So when winter comes, I don't mind shovelling and I love the sparkle of sunlight as it glistens off the snow. I love summer too with its longer days and easier evenings melting into nighttime. Actually, I don't think the outside temperature matters very much, as long as the central heating of our hearts is 'on'.

This season - as it draws to a close - is the time when families are (hopefully) able to come together and show love for one another. Shoppers grin in line-ups (sometimes) and children shout a little louder than usual (if that's possible), unable to contain their enthusiasm. I think all these things are markers of warmth.

I'd like to think the warmth doesn't have to depend on Christmas. I have nothing against a special time of year to celebrate the arrival of Jesus, the Holy Child, and certainly nothing against family and friends being especially kind to one another.
But I'd like that warmth to continue throughout the year.

I think that's why Jesus came in the first place - to live out LOVE: warmth, acceptance, blessing - regardless of indoor weather (mood, circumstance or company) and outdoor weather (relationships, hardships, perhaps even storms of literal or figurative nature).

So I aim to be a warmer person this year than last - whether or not I have to sweat to achieve it - and warmer next year than this. I aim to have a stoked hearth, whether the weather. I hope the same for you and all those around you.

Best wishes for 2013!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post, Sarah! I especially like your point that "the outside temperature matters very much, as long as the central heating of our hearts is 'on'" -- how true! I love the heat although there were times when the tropical sun of Malaysia seemed to shut my system right down. I also love snow, although every January I get the winter blahs and dream of beaches and rainforests.

We really would be much better to all follow your resolution. I'll add it to my 2013 list!

xo

Sarah Tun at Larus Press said...

Thank you! I guess I figure we can do our best and miss the mark but the Holy Spirit ignites the fire and keeps us going (when we allow ourselves to follow).

One day at a time!

Jeannie said...

"I don't think the outside temperature matters very much, as long as the central heating of our hearts is 'on'." That's a great line, Sarah. Or to put it in different words:

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul."

Tom Blubaugh, Night of the Cossack said...

You hit the jackpot with that line, Sarah. Although the central heating is on in my heart, the medicines I take for my heart have thinned my blood enough that I shiver just looking at pictures of snow on the ground. Brrrrrrr! My favorite outdoor temps are the mid 80's. Looking forward to summer.

Blessings,

Tom Blubaugh, Author
Night of the Cossack

Sarah Tun said...

What a wonderful song that is... Thank you Jeannie!

Sarah Tun said...

Every day brings warmth from unexpected places. May your family and friends keep you warm 'til the sun comes out in full force again.
Best to you... in spite of winter weather!