Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 22 November 2012

internet-induced VOID



   There are times when the internet is not my friend. Sometimes a void fills my mind and I am incapable of being creative. It happens when I’ve been on the internet for too long.
   My greatest desire is to write words to captivate an audience of people desperate to think deeply about themselves, their circumstances and their world. People like you... and me.
   But sometimes my mind becomes vacuous: fogged by internet usage, the deepest I can get inside myself is face level. My conscious mind is bloated; mental clarity becomes impossible, and my imagination, the place where I am able to swim in a wide sea of ideas, passions and questions, has become inaccessible. 
   It's a painful place but I'm so dulled by the Void that I can't even feel the pain.
   When I can’t get past this filter, this 'existence of meaningless drift', I live in a stupor of confusion, boredom and vapidity. In this place I have only a vague sense of feeling: a glimmer of frustration lodged inside interminable helplessness.
   Oh that the Void did not exist. Oh that my brain would not succumb to the numbness of internet superficiality. Oh.
   The Void is our enemy. Its identity is busyness, superficiality, shallow habits of mere existence on the screen and beyond. It is automaton.
   Humanity deserves more than living in the Void. She deserves philosophy, faith, desire, curiosity, hope. These exist underneath the Void, where there is a fullness the Void cannot comprehend. This is life.
   Life and the Void do not co-exist. Life is pain and passion; the Void is dull formulation and nothingness. Life seeks to ignite; the Void lulls the human spirit into detachment and docility.
   Here’s to the internet, bringing the world together, bringing revolution, praise and peace. But avoid the Void that is death: dull, colourless, thoughtless; despair.
   The human spirit is vital and so it is vital we keep it alive. You... and I are much more than the Void. The human spirit lives in creativity. Let us create! That’s how we’ve been designed to be: created by the Creator to create.
  Ah purpose! Reflection has brought focus: the filter begins to lift. The Void is once again overcome.
   As the fog lifts, I breathe more deeply and experience the open window. I escape from the Void and regain Life!

No comments: