Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Friday 9 November 2012

The Perfect Parent - Not

I would like to picture myself as the perfect mother. But I'm not. So when my seven year old heads off to school cross I despair!
I would like to think I've got the answer to all his woes (and mine). But I haven't.
So when I have to make a decision as to whether to give him a hug (whether he wants it or not) or to punish him (only if he needs it) I don't always get it right.
But I try.
We who have children love them to bits, right? We want them to thrive, but without being spoiled. We want their characters to grow, but without too much hardship. We want them to be the best they can be, but without undo pressure. Right.

I look at my boy, soon-to-be-eight and I see a child, a teen(!) and a man. He's wrestling with the fact that he is still dependent but wants to be able to do things for himself. Totally reasonable.
And I'm his mom, struggling to give him just the right amount and kind of responsibility.
Letting go isn't so much the issue as letting go how much.
Anyone else ever wrestle with that?

I'm not the perfect mom. I'm not the perfect woman. But I try.
And some days I feel like my epitaph will read, 'she meant well.'
Other days I reckon I've overcome enough that it'll read, 'she did well.'
If I can be a good mom, I'll be satisfied with that!


4 comments:

LA Botchar said...

I always say: "forever imperfect; eternally forgiven."

We do our best...but some days: you just don't know.

Unknown said...

Yup! Today wisdom prevailed. Boy returned home a bit sheepish.
I said time for him to make more of his own decisions (but not a goer if he plans to run in front of trucks.
He's happy. I'm happy. God is great! (reflection that leads to prayer is powerful!)

Karen Benjamin said...

Wisdom and advice from others that have gone through this stage is always beneficial also. We, as parents, all never always get it right....but asking God for wisdom and guidance, and being honest with our kids when they are older about parenting mistakes we regret, is always a good thing.

Sarah Tun at Larus Press said...

So true! And thank goodness we can always make apology for ignorance, oversight and less-than-perfect choices. And by nature, thank the LORD children are forgiving.