Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Friday 4 May 2012

Live, Love, Laugh

Self help books abound. Lots of people read them. People who know there's more to life than what they are experiencing, and they want to tap into 'the more'.
For those who've never read a self help book the experience may be daunting. So it might be better to call these kinds of books "life giving" books.

Here's an excerpt from my life giving book FREE TO BE:

"MANY of us have unwittingly settled for less than the personal freedom intended for us. we endure insecurity, fearing we will make a mistake and bring rejection upon ourselves, because we don't know anything else. From the cradle our greatest need has been love, and perhaps we have grown sensitive to rejection.
I didn't recognize the full extent of my insecurity until my thirties. I wasted many years being anxious and stressed about my relationships because I thought it was normal. But it isn't. While conflict in life is unavoidable, insecurity is a learned response, and what has been learned can be unlearned. I'd like you to glimpse my insecurity and my journey to overcome it, so that you can identify yours and be encouraged also.
When I learned that peace was possible, I then became aware that I didn't have it. Only then did I begin the long but rewarding road to healing. Now that I'd overcome anxiety and found the peace that comes with self-acceptance, I long for others to find the same, so that all of us can be who we were created to be."

When we learn to think and co-exist with others as we're meant to, we'll find joy and fulfillment in the freedom we have to do those things we were organically designed to do.
It's logical, it's desirable. So I encourage you to engage - with yourself first, and with the Holy Spirit (for those who are believers or seek to be), and discover ALL of who you are.

Who am I to say these things? Someone like you, who's freedom had been eroded. Time, experience taught me to protect myself, and to see myself as inferior to others. I wore a mask - or several - because I was ashamed of who I was.  I wasn't inferior, and others didn't see me that way, but I did and that was why I sold myself short.
I also experienced abuse. I also experienced rejection. The book isn't about that though, although I touch on it so you can believe me. It's much more about overcoming those experiences though, to be the person I was always meant to be: forthright, hopeful, encouraging to others. And you know what else? If I hadn't experienced those things I wouldn't have had to overcome them and so I wouldn't be the person I am today, just as I'm intended to be.
How can I sell you a book? I can't. I'm selling an idea - a concept - an ambition: that humanity becomes free from fear and alive to confidence - real, lasting, unconditional confidence. One person at a time...

2 comments:

Tom Blubaugh, Night of the Cossack said...

Great post, Sarah. We all have defects of one kind or another. I used to ask the Lord to change me until one day I realized I didn't even know what I should be changed to, if anything. At that point I began to accept myself and didn't presume to be able to know how I should be. Have I been changed? In many areas, but I don't know where the changes are until I'm faced with a situation. When I'm on the other side of it, I then can see how I'm changed by the way I handled it. I have a blog coming up in a couple of weeks about this.

Blessings,

Tom Blubaugh, Author
Night of the Cossack
http://tomblubaugh.com

Unknown said...

Yes, and it is amazing isn't it when we discover we've responded differently from our usual pattern to a situation. I have been changed without realizing it. And then, the similar situations seem to stop recurring after that!