Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 16 May 2013

What's Most Valuable to Me


My most treasured possessions aren't possessions at all but people - my husband and my son. I rank only God above them for it is through Him that I 'live and move and have my being.'
Hubby and Son


What motivates me is a desire to see every person actualized to be the person he or she was created to be. That is probably because it was such hard work for me to figure me out. I include those closest to me but also those whom I've never met.

My personal aim is to contribute to the beauty that is already on the earth. I can't sculpt or paint. I can sing a 'mean' song but unless it is recorded seriously - i.e. professionally - my existence and contribution to the world as a singer has too narrow an audience to make any impact. So I write. Some projects are long-standing - novels or personal growth books. But some are quick quips and responses to the messages of others.

I've discovered there is much beauty in the Social Network - though there is much that is ugly also. I dwell on the beauty - of strangers reaching out to strangers - not out of lust or personal gain but simply to make a connection and to prove that life, the earth and its people are able to care without personal gain.

I've developed a quip of an acrostic: SOAR = See Over All Repression. I believe if we elevate our perspective we can see above and beyond what is in the now and make an impact for change in our personal lives. Who knows! Maybe as we live and promote SOAR others will be led to copy. (The second hand market for wisdom and advice really ought to be tapped more thoroughly.) Anyway, whether we see the perspective as flight or as walking on water, as we practice, we overcome the oppression that has tried to stifle us. It is a miracle-in-the-making that we are able to become free of all that emotional, psychological baggage, and be who we were meant to be all along. Millions of people wrestle with feelings of low self-esteem. But we have already got the means for sanity, and that is through Jesus. My way through the morass has been prayer, God's Word and the help of the Holy Spirit, the comforter. I write, I read, I pray, I wait.

Then I post pictures to represent the journey I've completed.

I post pics of seagulls in particular. I watch seagulls in flight. I had a chat with one today and he seemed to 'get' what I had to say. He paused, tilted his head, before flying away to another busy opportunity to eat. For me the seagull represents the freedom to which we all aspire and the perseverance we need to survive.

I have found that when I dwell on the positive, and see all things as under the sovereignty of God, then I have peace in spite of chaos and discomfort. And to share insight or point of view from that optimistic perspective is really the best I can offer others. As time unfolds and a cause to a problem rises to the surface, what better way to deal with it than through prayer and conversation with trusted friends.

My aim is to SOAR in everything and if I can enrich others through this then my work is a success.
Come Holy Spirit, lead me into all truth and enable me to see far above my circumstances in order to see clearly and to make the best of this situation.

In Jesus' name, Amen.
Sometimes we feel like tiny specks but from our elevated viewpoint we are made wise.

No comments: