Welcome to A Life Examined

What is the examined life? A life worth living! As I look at the road ahead, I take all the baggage from the past and use it as experience - the pain and the passion, the sorrow and the joy - allowing it to carve wisdom into my mind and hope into my spirit.
There is no experience that can't be useful to me at some point in my life. There is no lesson learned that cannot make a contribution to the future.
A tiny drop of water is a part of the ocean. A tiny speck in the night sky is a ginormous star in the distance. It all depends on perspective.
So, this examined life is to offer reflections in the hope of discussing things which are of value to myself and to others.
Love, Sarah






Thursday 18 April 2013

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

keep on truckin'



What is perseverance? It's focusing on the job at hand and continuing when it isn't easy to do so.

I love red vehicles. But I never owned one until recently... now I own two. In the past, whenever I was going to buy a car, I wanted to choose red but for one reason or another, it never happened. Then finally, my husband said, 'get the red one even though it's more expensive'; so I did. I drive a small red SUV. He recently bought this lovely red truck. He wanted the truck and bought red for my benefit. He demonstrated something in all of this: if you really want something, it's worth having, so don't give up!

When I was a kid I was made to take piano lessons. Sure I would have liked to have been able to play well, but I did not. My older sister played brilliantly. My biggest mistake was quitting but my second biggest mistake was comparing myself to her.

Comparison is perhaps the worst enemy to achievement, because when we compare we aren't looking at the goal or even at our own progress but at someone else.

My young son is involved in competitive gymnastics. The program and coaching are excellent. One of the best things about the club is that the children on our team don't compare themselves with each other but rather the goal is for each kid to do his best. There are criteria, with set routines, so there is a standard to reach. Individual performances at competitions are scrupulously graded, and the best kids win. BUT while there are medal winners and those who don't win, each kid within the team is encouraged to progress based on what he can do if he works hard and tries hard and faces challenges with a good attitude. Improvement is what matters most to our coaches, and not the medals. In fact, the kids in our club are so secure in their environment that they did win quite a lot of 'stuff' at their competitions, but they did so without comparing to one another within their team, or looking at other athletes as though they are 'the competition'. I think all of life should be led like that!

Looking at someone's progress rather than our own is a killer to success. If I had focused at my own progress in piano, I might have enjoyed myself a lot more. More importantly, I would have stuck with it and although I would probably not have become a concert pianist I would have been able to play. I certainly have had many regrets because I quit when I was 12.

Sometimes quitting is common sense. But mostly, when we find ourselves in a situation that is hard work, it is an opportunity to grow in character by going forward, even if it's only one little step at at time. Just because something is uncomfortable or hard is not a reason to give up.

There is that saying, 'When the going gets tough, the tough get going.' Looking back over my choices, there are one or two things I wish I'd quit sooner because I wasted my time investing. But there are many more things I gave up on that I wish I'd persevered with. I have learned the hard way, that character is built through effort and experience. One challenge overcome always prepares us for the next. Life is hard, and facing challenges is inevitable. But the more character we've developed through our past experiences, the more we 'toughen up'. And as we grow stronger, the challenges become more demanding and therefore, more interesting. Giving up is a step toward the mundane; persevering is the pathway to adventure! That may not be the reason to keep going, but certainly it is incentive!

I plan to be here with a new post next week: Thursday 25th April.

4 comments:

George W said...

Beautiful Post, Sarah. I love your control and consistency of metaphor. There is a common thread that runs through it all and the reader's not jerked from one thought to the next. It all flows so nicely, which indicates to me a mind that has it all together and flowing nicely with life. And that's you, Sarah.

Jeannie said...

Comparison IS a killer of success ... and of happiness, even. So true, Sarah.

Sarah Tun said...


George, you complement so generously, I am just about speechless in response. May you be encouraged in kind.

Sarah Tun said...

Jeannie, I know someone who nicknames comparison - 'comp-arrogance', which is a good reminder to me I need to be humble!
But as we persevere in our efforts we'll discover our character growing and I believe that's the real achievement.
Thanks for your comment!